THE CORPORATION OF THE TOWN OF COCHRANE
Employment Opportunity - Executive Administrative Assistant
Classification: Full-Time Permanent
Hours of Work: 35 Hours
Location: Cochrane, Ontario
Immediate Supervisor: Clerk
Position Status: Open until suitable candidate is found
Salary: Salary negotiable/as per approved budget
The Corporation of the Town of Cochrane prides ourselves on fostering an environment of collaboration and respect and are looking for dedicated qualified candidate to join us.
The Town of Cochrane is looking for an Executive Administrative Assistant to join their team in Cochrane, Ontario.
Reporting to the Clerk and the CAO, the Executive Administrative Assistant will perform a wide variety of complex secretarial and administrative tasks requiring high level of confidentiality, initiative, independent judgement and extensive working knowledge of council organization and municipal administrative procedures. Work entails dealing with the public (citizens and agencies), other municipalities, municipal departments and exercising a high degree of discretion and tact in all communications.
· Schedule appointments and meetings for the Mayor and CAO; and maintain their schedules.
· Assist the Clerk with preparing Council, Committees and Board agendas, resolutions, motions, by-laws; policies and distributes back up materials. This include confidential and sensitive document related to the Town’s Labour Relation strategies, Mandate, negotiation and grievance handling and other Labour Relation Matters.
· Assist the Clerk with preparing follow up correspondence, reports, minutes of all meetings.
· Prepares public notices, notices of meetings and any other advertisements necessary.
· Filing, handling and safekeeping of various records, such as minutes, resolutions, by-laws, policies, correspondence, and confidential information, as per the Record Management Retention by-law
· Provides confidential support to the CAO and the Senior Management Team when dealing with Closed Session meeting matters, such as Labour Relations and other matters regulated under the Municipal Act.
· Reviews and proofreads press release/newsletters/articles, reports, and any other materials.
· Prepares letters/memos/emails to Council, Directors/Managers, staff and unions.
· Coordinates preparations for Mayor and/or Council events including TV/radio, appearances, Conferences, receptions, dignitary visits.
· Notifies committee(s), board(s) and members of Council of meetings.
· Administers and manages the municipality’s website and social media.
· Grade 12 and a minimum 5 years of demonstrated experience or equivalent in a directly related environment? Preferably in municipal or a post-secondary education with a minimum 2 years of demonstrated experience in providing high administrative support to management staff or equivalent in a directly related environment
As an Assets
· Professional Accreditation, such as Accredited Municipal Professional (AMP)
· Previous municipal experience
· Knowledgeable of municipal functions and procedures
· Proficiency in both English and French
· Demonstrated organizational and interpersonal skills.
· Ability to prioritize and organize workload.
· Ability to prepare agendas, legal documents, motions/resolutions, by-laws and related complex correspondence.
· Ability to deal with the public in an effective and courteous matter.
· Ability to work under pressure, attentive to both accuracy and detail.
· Knowledge of by-laws, municipal functions and procedures.
· Ability to work independently on complex secretarial tasks, compose effective and accurate correspondence, and deal with non-routine and complex tasks without recourse to supervisors.
The above represents only a brief description of the general requirements. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply by email their resumes to email@example.com with subject line “Executive Administrative Assistant” attention: Emad Zaineh – Director of Human Resources, before 12:00 noon, on Monday, July 5th, 2021
Once you apply, we’ll review your resume to determine if your skills and experience match the qualifications for the role and only qualified candidates will be contacted for next steps. If you move forward, the process may include an interview, written/practical test, and reference check.