THE CORPORATION OF THE TOWN OF COCHRANE
Employment Opportunity - Land Planner
Corporation of the Town of Cochrane
Full Time- Land use planner, Economic Development
Classification: Full-Time Permanent
Hours of Work: 40 Hours, varies based on operational requirement
Location: Cochrane, Ontario
Immediate Supervisors: Chief Administrative Officer
Position Status: Open until suitable candidate is found
Salary Under Review
The Corporation of the Town of Cochrane is engaging in a new initiative to enhance service level to its communities. We pride ourselves on fostering an environment of collaboration and respect and are looking for dedicated qualified candidate to join us.
From revitalization of the Downtown to the expansion of our communities, the Town of Cochrane is looking for a land planner to join their team to embrace the new initiatives and enhance the Towns services.
Reporting to the CAO, the Planner will be responsible for all matters under the Planning Act such as consent, minor variances, zoning, official plan amendments, plans of subdivision, site planning, public inquires, and pre-consultations to processing complete applications. They will ensure that all inquiries, proposals, and applications are moving forward promptly and according to legislative requirements and the Town’s planning and economic development strategy.
- Develops planning studies and reports in support of new and updated plans, programs and regulations
- Reviews moderately complex development proposals and it’s plan for conformance with codes, plan and regulations
- Prepares and presents detailed reports on development proposals to Mayor and Council
- Collects a variety of statistical data and prepares reports and maps on topics such as census information, land use, tax base data and occupancy rates
- Evaluation of re-zonings, ordinance amendments, site plans, special use permits, variances and other proposals
- Acts as a liaison between community groups, government agencies, developers and elected official in developing neighbourhood plans
- Ability to review plans and apply provisions of the ordinances and codes to determine compliance with such regulations and to apply regulations to field conditions
- Coordinates community review of public and private development projects
- Provides information to the public regarding development regulations
- Assists in resolving citizen and customer issues
- Oversees the work of consultants and interns
- Conducts field evaluations and assessments
- To work with partnership with the CAO in economic development initiatives, including public consultations, CIP program administration and responding to development and economic development inquires
- To work toward downtown revitalization and urban renewal
- To consult and partner with community organizations involved in economic development
- To promote Cochrane’s economic and social advantage for population and economic growth
- To work with local, regional, provincial and national builders and developers to execute development activities in the Town
- To serve as an economic development advisor to the Economic Development Advisory Committee and the Motel Accommodation Tax Destination and Marketing Board.
- Post secondary degree in Urban Design, Landscape Architecture, Geography, or a closely related field
- Minimum 5 years experience of related experience in a land use planning office environment
- Eligible for membership with OPPI, OAA and/or OALA
As an Assets
- Crime prevention through environmental design (CPTED) and the ability to review projects from a CPTED and accessibility perspective
- Evening and occasional weekend meetings
- Excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills to explain rules and procedures clearly to the public
- Creative problem-solving skills to gather relevant information to solve vaguely defined practical problems
- The ability to create graphic designs, development strategies, and render site plans via sketches and/or computer graphics is highly desirable
- Ability to work on several projects or issues simultaneously
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment as needed
- Ability to attend to details while keeping big-picture goals in mind.
The above represents only a brief description of the general requirements. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply by email their resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Land use planner” attention Emad Zaineh-Director of Human Resources. Before noon time on April 30th, 2021
Once you apply, we’ll review your resume to determine if your skills and experience match the qualifications for the role and only qualified candidates will be contacted for next steps. If you move forward, the process may include an interview, written/practical test, and reference check.
Download a copy of the job description below.
Job Posting- Land planner