THE CORPORATION OF THE TOWN OF COCHRANE
EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY - PROTECTIVE SERVICES CLERK
Job Title: Protective Services Clerk
Department: Protective Services
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. the hours of work may be altered to accommodate the Department’s needs.
Salary: Salary/Benefits as per the Collective Agreement
Immediate Supervisor: Director of Protective Services
Provides reception, clerical and coordinating functions for Protective Services; Fire, Building, Planning, By-law and POA.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Program and Policies: 10% FTE
- Assist with all planning applications and correspondence for the Cochrane and Suburban Planning Board
- Shall follow all staff policies and procedures as defined by the Town of Cochrane Municipal Council.
- Create, maintain, and update bookings/scheduling for the Fire Department training room used in rental and direct program capacity.
- In conjunction with the Director, handle all ongoing bookings for the Department.
- To assist the Manager and other related staff in coordinating, designing, initiating, and supervising leisure programs and special event initiatives offered by the Department.
- To provide note-taking and coordination for any large emergencies deemed by the Community Emergency Management Coordinator.
- Be available on short notice for emergency purposes as governed by the Emergency Measures Act and support all media outlets, including emergency press releases by the Mayor.
- To monitor and prepare statistical information as required on program and facility use in anticipation of future needs.
General Administration and Clerical: 60% FTE
- Perform reception and clerical functions for the Department, provide a positive, professional image to the public, and provide exemplary public service.
- Contact residents to collect any outstanding fees owed to the Municipality and to forward any outstanding balances to the Tax Department for collection.
- Assist with the preparation and distribution of agendas, minutes for the Department and the Cochrane and Suburban Planning Board. Types and files all correspondence, public releases, agendas, minutes of meetings, registration lists, reports, forms, memorandums, etc., as required.
- Operate and maintain accessory office equipment, including photocopier, fax, voice mail, and computer. Maintain inventory control and management of office supplies.
- Prepare invoices, purchase orders, and permit forms, related material, and other administrative duties involved in these processes for the Manager’s approval.
- To direct daily or additional work duties to staff as required.
- To receive and direct all incoming telephone inquiries; to organize and coordinate incoming and outgoing mail and correspondence with Fire, Building, Planning and By-Law Departments.
- Respond to questions relating to the Department in the absence of the Director. Shall deal with all inquiries and correspondence in a confidential manner.
- Shall assist in the preparation of operating and capital budgets as they relate to programs and events.
- Prepare a daily deposit of all revenues derived from building permits, consent applications, a committee of adjustments applications, Official plan amendments and zoning by-law amendments.
Liability, Safety and Control 10% FTE
- Works in conjunction with the Director of Protective Services to report, analyze and resolve any potential risks and liabilities of facilities that fall under the control of the Protective Services umbrella.
- Maintain updated department records, statistics, and files of inventories and materials for related facilities and programs.
- Other duties as directed by the department
- Minimum Grade 12 education with five years experience in an administrative role OR post-secondary business diploma or degree with a minimum of 2 years of experience or equivalent.
- Demonstrated organizational and interpersonal skills, the ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Be flexible with good organizational skills and be able to provide service to the public.
- Skills to communicate with the public courteously and professionally.
- Proficiency in computer applications, especially Microsoft Office (Word, Access, Excel), Proficiency in Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Publisher, and CGIS.
- Valid class “G” driving licence.
- Primer on Planning, AMTCO, Incident Command System
Interested in applying:
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply by email their resumes to email@example.com with the subject line “Clerk- Protective Services” attention Emad Zaineh-Director of Human Resources. Before noontime on December 17th, 2021