THE CORPORATION OF THE TOWN OF COCHRANE
Employment Opportunity: Special Events & Marketing Coordinator (Internship)
Classification: Special Events & Marketing Coordinator (Internship)
Department: Community Services
Location: 7 Tim Horton Drive, Cochrane, Ontario
Immediate Supervisor: Director of Community Services
Rate of Pay/Benefits: Per Collective Agreement
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week, shift work, evenings and/or weekends required
Position Status: Temporary Full Time (Internship)
Dated: August 28, 2019
The Special Events & Marketing Coordinator – Internship will be the principal conduit through which attractions, events and tourism initiatives for our communities will be coordinated. The ideal candidate for this position will have a love for event management, provide outstanding customer service, have a good understanding of the economic impacts of community events, have excellent promotion skills and ability to engage our local businesses, develop promotional materials for events, and raising awareness of local business and attractions.
The ongoing marketing, tourist engagement, business engagement and promotion of our community to visitors will always form a key component of the position. Significant responsibilities include promotion of the local community, development of event marketing plans, synchronization of calendars to ensure maximum benefits to the events as well as community businesses, development and maintenance of digital marketing campaigns, manage social media posts, maintain town website, and overall promotion of the town and all it has to offer prospective visitors.
This position is contingent on a funding partnership between the Town of Cochrane and the Government of Canada (Fednor grant) and will run from September 23, 2019 to March 31, 2021 (18-month term); this partnership will be reviewed in the winter of 2020 to determine if the position will continue beyond its initial term.
Minimum Qualifications Required:
- Degree or Diploma in a related field such as Business, Marketing, Event Planning, Tourism
- Software knowledge and proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, website maintenance, graphic programs, Adobe Suite, and social media expertise is essential.
- Experience working with private, non-profit, and public sector organizations is an asset.
- Strong initiative and customer service orientation.
- Must have a valid class “G” Driver’s License.
- Training in WHMIS, First Aid, CPR, or related courses is an asset.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both official languages, French and English, is an asset
- Ability to work flexible hours, work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to perform light manual labour, including bending, stooping, and reaching.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative relationships with other staff and project participants.
- Volunteer management skills would be an asset
- Valid Criminal Record Check
Professional Development Requirements:
It is expected that the successful candidate will enrol and succeed in annual professional development courses outlined by the department Director in promoting continuous education and growth.
The above represents only a brief description of the general requirements for the position. A complete job description is available at the Municipal Office, 171 Fourth Avenue, Cochrane, Ontario during normal office hours or by visiting the municipal website at www.cochraneontario.com Qualified applicants are requested to submit a cover letter and a detailed resume including references, in a sealed envelope marked “Confidential – Special Events & Marketing Coordinator (Intern)” to the following address, by Wednesday September 18th, 2019 at 4:00 p.m., local time.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and is used to determine eligibility for potential employment. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, the Town of Cochrane is pleased to accommodate individual needs of applicants with disabilities within the recruitment process. Please call 705-272-4361 or email the undersigned if you require an accommodation to ensure your participation in the recruitment and selection process
Jean Pierre Cousineau, Human Resources Manager
The Corporation of the Town of Cochrane
171 Fourth Avenue, Cochrane, ON P0L 1C0
Tel: (705) 272-4361 Fax: (705) 272-6068