THE CORPORATION OF THE TOWN OF COCHRANE
Heavy Equipment Operator and Maintenance
Corporation of the Town of Cochrane External Job Posting
Job Title: Heavy Equipment Operator & Maintenance
Department: Infrastructure Department
Location: 92 Second Street Cochrane, Ontario
Immediate Supervisor: Infrastructure Supervisor
Position Status: Full-Time
Rate of Pay: Per Collective Agreement
Hours of Work: Normal hours of work as per Collective Agreement
Benefits: Per Collective Agreement
Job Summary: The position of Heavy Equipment Operator & Maintenance is responsible for operation of small equipment, light duty vehicles, heavy duty vehicles and heavy equipment, general labourer duties on occasion, general maintenance duties, project management of assigned activities and Occupational Health and Safety Act compliance in the workplace for self and fellow workers. The position is responsible to maintain open and effective communication with field supervisors as assigned (Coordinator – Rural or Urban) Infrastructure Supervisor and the Director of Infrastructure Services or Alternate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Be proficient in the operation of small equipment, light duty vehicles, heavy-duty vehicles and heavy equipment and in accordance with municipal policy and procedures and safe work practices.
- Perform maintenance and repairs on municipal infrastructure including roads, sidewalks, culverts, bridges, storm sewers and airport.
- Perform general maintenance on equipment including daily inspections, changing of parts, minor repairs, greasing, cleaning and washing.
- Perform general maintenance on Municipal buildings including snow shoveling, cleaning and repairs.
- Perform garbage collection services and annual spring/fall cleanups.
- Perform general labourer duties involving manual labour, using hand tools and small equipment.
- Assist in delivery of work plans for winter and summer operations as directed by Coordinator – Rural or Coordinator – Urban.
- Assist in burials.
- Assist mechanic in garage operations on an assigned basis. Project manages assigned projects or tasks.
- Ensure compliance as a worker with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and other pertinent regulatory legislation for self and fellow workers in all aspects of municipal operations.
- Establish and maintain a system of open and effective communication with the Coordinator – Rural and Coordinator – Urban as field supervisors and the Director of Operations or Alternate.
- Attend and participate in training sessions as scheduled by management or as requested for and approved by management.
- Liaison with public in a courteous and professional manner. Other duties as assigned.
Desired Minimum Qualifications
Must possess a post-secondary education and a minimum of 3 years of demonstrated progressive municipal experience or in a directly related environment. Must possess a valid Class “DZ” licence. Must hold a certificate of heavy equipment operator training from a recognized training institute or have 3 years of demonstrated experience or have the equivalent in a directly related environment.
Employees wishing to apply should forward a letter, along with a resume in a sealed envelope, clearly marked “Full-time Heavy Equipment Operator & Maintenance” and addressed to the undersigned before 1:00 p.m. on Friday October 26th, 2018.
The above represents only a brief description of the general requirements for the position. Those wishing to apply are encouraged to obtain a detailed job description. A detailed job specification can be picked up at the Municipal Operations Department, 92 Second Street Cochrane Ontario between the hours of 7:00 am and 3:00 pm Monday to Friday and applications are to be dropped off at the Municipal Office located at 171 Fourth Avenue, Cochrane, Ontario between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday.
Afin d’obtenir de l’information en français, veuillez communiquer au 705-272-4361.
Jean Pierre Cousineau Human Resources Manager
The Corporation of the Town of Cochrane 171 Fourth Avenue, P.O. Box 490 Cochrane, ON