THE CORPORATION OF THE TOWN OF COCHRANE
The Town is taking a pro-active approach to minimize the spread of COVID-19 throughout the community
COCHRANE, ONTARIO, March 26, 2020 — The Town of Cochrane is taking steps to help local ratepayers with their utility and tax bills as well as re-examining operating budgets.
To provide a small amount of financial relief for our residents the Town of Cochrane will be implementing the following measures effective immediately:
- Council amended their procedural by-law to allow for electronic participation by Council members for meetings.
- Council has waived all interest and penalties for tax payments for a period of 60 days at which time it will be re-evaluated.
- Council has waived interest and penalties for monthly water and sewage payments for a period of 60 days at which time it will be re-evaluated.
- Previously approved user fee increases scheduled to take effect April 1. 2020 will be deferred for 60 days at which time it will be re-evaluated.
- Council has directed staff to present an amended 0% increase tax-based budget for consideration April 28, 2020.
- Council has directed staff to defer the implementation of the approved 2020 water/sewage budget and to report back with an amended 0% increase budget for consideration on April 28, 2020.
Mayor Denis Clement reiterated the Towns commitment to working with the community to provide a small measure of relief for our community in these uncertain times. “Council and I know these are small measures, but they are actions within our control that we hope will help ease financial anxiety. I would encourage any member of our community who needs assistance with municipal services to call Town Hall and speak to a member of staff.”
We thank the public for their patience and understanding during this time of uncertainty.
For further information please contact: