The Clerk is the official document and record keeper for the municipality and is responsible for maintaining all records according to a record retention schedule. As a result, the Clerk is the main point of contact for the following municipal records services:

  • Obtaining copies of bylaws pertaining to a specific matter
  • Birth registrations and death statements are received by the Clerk’s Office which is the Division Registrar for Cochrane. The Division Registrar is responsible for ensuring all forms are properly completed; the information is recorded and then forwarded to the Registrar General’s Office in Thunder Bay. Copies of birth and death certificates are issued only from the Registrar General’s Office. Applications for these can be obtained at Town Hall.
  • The Clerk’s department offers civil ceremonies to couples who are looking to have a simple, non-religious marriage ceremony.
  • The Office of the Clerk ensures all communications that come in by mail or email is directed to Council by way of departmental reports or on the next Council agenda. Items desired to be placed on the Council agendas must be delivered in writing to the Clerk by 1:00pm on the Thursday preceding the meetings of Council, or the items will be omitted into the next agenda.
  • The Clerk is the Returning Officer for the municipal elections which are held every four years. The next election is in 2022.
  • Marriage Ceremonies
  • Municipal Elections

Civil Marriage


The Clerk’s department offers civil ceremonies to couples who are looking to have a simple, non-religious marriage ceremony. In order to be married the couple will need to have reserved and met with their chosen marriage commissioner and hold a valid completed marriage licence. Download our complete civil marriage information and application guide for couples interested in this service.


In order to book their marriage commissioner, couples must pay the $315.00 fee to the municipality by cash, cheque or debit and complete the marriage ceremony booking agreement. Following reception of the form and payment, a meeting with the selected commissioner will be organized.


At least one meeting with the commissioner prior to the wedding is mandatory for couples requesting the service. The meeting will take place at Town Hall and couples will need to bring the following items to the meeting:

  • Valid marriage licence
  • Completed civil ceremony questionnaire
  • Receipt of payment for the civil ceremony
  • One piece of current, valid photo identification

Your first step is to go through the information package checklist and to fill out the necessary applications. Be sure to do that first and foremost.


Couples may be married in Council Chambers at the Town Hall or at an alternative location, such as a residence, a restaurant or a park.

No decorations, confetti, bubbles, or incense permitted in or around the facility being used for the marriage ceremony.

171 Fourth Avenue
Cochrane, ON P0L 1C0
Telephone: (705) 272-4361 ext. 231
Fax: (705) 272-6068
Civil Marriage Package


To apply for a marriage licence, please refer to the information below. If you have any additional questions, you are encouraged to contact Town Hall and the Clerk’s department by email or phone.

Please note that the fillable application form and general information on the issuance of a marriage licence can be found on the Service Ontario website.


  1. Download the marriage licence application form (hard copies can also be picked up at Town Hall)
  2. Complete and sign (original signatures) and date the application form (both applicants)
  3. Book an appointment with Town Hall. Marriage licences will be issued by appointment only
  4. Provide the following items for your appointment:
    1. Marriage licence application form: completed and signed
    2. Identification: two pieces for each applicant (see Acceptable Identification)
    3. Divorce documents: Certificate of Divorce (original or court-certified) or other foreign divorce documents (see Out-of-Country Divorces)
  5. Provide payment for the $130.00 marriage licence fee


Both you and your partner must provide two pieces of original, valid, government-issued identification. At least 1 piece of identification must include a current photo and signature. We cannot accept expired identification. Examples of acceptable identification include:

  • Birth certificate, including change of name certificate
  • Valid driver’s licence
  • Valid passport
  • Ontario photo health card
  • Record of immigrant landing
  • Canadian Citizenship Card
  • Valid Ontario Photo Card


If you were divorced outside of Canada, you will need to provide certain documents to prove that you are no longer married. The government needs to validate these documents. This process can take up to 4 weeks. Please refer to Service Ontario for further instructions.


You can download a copy of the marriage licence application from the Service Ontario website. Hard copies also available at Town Hall.



The Clerk’s department is responsible for the coordination and management of the municipal elections. In accordance with the Municipal Elections Act, every four years the Town Clerk as Returning Officer, conducts elections all community offices. The next municipal election is slated for Fall 2022.


The following buttons take you to results from the 2018 election. Download the files below to review the last election for the Town of Cochrane.

2018 Final Summary of Election Results
Candidates Financial Statements
Declaration of Acclamation


The following buttons take you to results from the 2014 election.
The following link takes you to the previous Municipal Election Results.

Municipal Election Results
Candidates Financial Statements
Declaration of Acclamation


In 2022, voters in Cochrane will be electing the following number of representatives:

Mayor 1 to be elected
Councillors 6 to be elected
English Public School Board 1 to be elected
English Separate School Board 1 to be elected
French Public School Board 1 to be elected
French Separate School Board 1 to be elected